Post Title: Technical Officer (Clinical Simulation)
SBU/Department: School of Life and Medical Sciences
FTE: 1.0 fte working 37 hours per week
Duration of Contract: One year fixed term
Salary: £21,236 to £22,417 per annum depending on achieving designated skills and experience
Location: College Lane Campus, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield
This is a new position and the appointment will be funded for twelve months in the first instance with a possibility of renewal.
We are seeking to recruit a talented and resourceful individual to join our Simulation team in the School of Life and Medical Sciences. Your time will mostly be spent in our two clinical simulation Centres on the College Lane campus with occasional visits to a further facility in the immediate locality. You will play an important role in supporting clinical and simulation sessions for a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate students as well as outside clients.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As part of a small group of friendly technical staff you will work closely with academic staff as well as both undergraduate and postgraduate students on a wide range of courses. You will provide technical support and preparation of materials for teaching, checking mannequins and clinical equipment and dealing with breakages and malfunctions, as well as maintaining an inventory.
You will explain basic laboratory skills and demonstrate safe use, participate in clinical role-play scenarios, and support academic staff with supervision of student clinics and examinations. Some clinical laboratories are off-campus but in the local area, so a driving licence or access to transport would be beneficial.
Skills and Experience
Practical experience in, or knowledge of clinical simulation would be a distinct advantage, especially if gained within a Higher Education framework. We will, however, provide training and support for the right candidate. You may either hold, or be working towards a relevant nationally recognised qualification in an area of medical science or applied technology but all applicants will be considered on their own merits.
You will be working as part of a small group of friendly technical staff but, as you will sometimes find yourself running sessions on your own, must be confident, trustworthy and reliable. Due to the nature of various Courses, some working outside normal hours will be required from time to time, so flexibility is important.
The successful candidate for this role must be both enthusiastic and willing to learn. You will need to have an interest in both medicine and technology and be comfortable interfacing with a wide range of people including medical practitioners, academic staff, technical colleagues and students.
As the post is based within a complex working environment, an awareness of Health and Safety legislation and practice would be beneficial though relevant training will be provided. You will enjoy communicating and be numerate and literate, and be familiar and confident with business productivity tools such as Microsoft Office and email.
You will hold a minimum of 5 GCSEs with grade C/4 or above in Maths and English, or possibly an A-level or equivalent in a relevant scientific area, or an undergraduate degree. Completion of IOSH would be advantageous.
Contact Details/Informal Enquiries: Roy Mills, Technical Manager on 01707 285261.
Closing Date: 28 January 2020
Interview date: To be advised
Reference Number: 026155
Date Advert Placed: 14 January 2020
The University offers a range of benefits including a pension scheme, professional development, family friendly policies, a fee waiver of 50% for all children of staff under the age of 25 at the start of the course, discounted memberships at the Hertfordshire Sports Village and generous annual leave.
Apply online at https://www.herts.ac.uk/contact-us/jobs-and-vacancies
For further details
iRIS Agile Product / Support Specialist
(SaaS Healthcare App)
Location: Virtual/work from home, or could be Bristol or Cirencester-based
Position: Permanent, full-time (part time would be considered for an exceptional candidate), requires support of clients in the US time-zone
Salary: £27,000 - £32,000 based on skills, experience and flexibility
We are looking for…An awesome individual to join us on our journey as we grow the business dramatically - this year, next year and the year after! For the right person, this is an irresistible opportunity to:
- Join a small, virtual team, who have developed a world-wide App and client-base in the past 12 months, and who now need to take it to the next level
- Work closely with our industry-leading, world-wide distribution partner and Product Support team in Bangalore to support a rapidly growing client-base
- Shape and nurture our unique cloud-based SaaS solution into a de-facto global standard for health simulation education across the world.
Launched in 2013, TWME8 provides the iRIS simulation authoring software to the simulation healthcare sector on a global basis. www.irissimulationauthoring.com
You are someone who will relish the chance to make iRIS and our business perform at another level.
If you are interested in the role please contact Alex Clark, Founder and Product Director TWME8 Limited [email protected]
The Role - This is a multi-faceted role that involves working closely to support our Clients, Global Distribution Partner, the Product Director and our Bangalore Development team. Most likely, we can organise to play to your strengths across the below four priority areas:
- Evolve and translate a product roadmap into great functionality that customers love
- Organise and gather inputs from all key stakeholders and help to prioritise our Development Roadmap
- Translate upcoming roadmap items into great functional specifications that can be delivered in the most agile way, always managing Bang for the Buck
- Create a superb customer experience - from onboarding to ongoing support
- Onboard customers via webinars until such time as this is not needed (NB the majority of our customers are based in the US so flexible working hours are required)
- Optimise the onboarding process and product so that onboarding is self-explanatory
- Drive higher and higher quality releases through better functionality, processes and management e.g. introduce Quarterly “health checks” with clients to ensure they get the most out of iRIS and inform our Roadmap
- Provide highly responsive and proactive resolution to any issues encountered and prevent recurrence
- Help achieve great product delivery - Agile, etc.
- Optimise delivery by helping to strengthen Agile processes and management within the Development team in Bangalore, India
- Help to bring consistency and discipline to our core support, development and IT security process
- Help ensure we all know how we are doing – dashboards
- Help define and manage using a small set of key metrics
- Help to use these to drive decision-making about where and how to improve.
Most likely you are…
- A healthcare simulation technician who has been at the cutting edge of medical education and knows the ins and outs, and wants to build on this skill and deep client insight OR
- A software engineer/technical support professional who has followed their passion for shaping (and using) great software apps and ensuring they get delivered in the best possible way
- Inquisitive and confident/skilful with global customers, offshore teams or distributor teams – you love working with them, asking, listening, teaching, guiding, etc.
- A professional who has experience working in the healthcare sector, ideally simulation education
- A process person at heart, you’ve experienced the power of delivering through strong (not bureaucratic) processes to get things done, rather than relying on individual heroics! You always dig for root cause to problems and never go for patches that break again over time
- Someone who has matured/improved multiple processes – made them stronger so they deliver quicker, higher quality outcomes for customers
- A fantastic/natural team player, your instinct is to work as a team versus being an individual hero. You help and challenge others constructively so we improve, you ensure shared purpose and clarity, you share and listen, you take clear ownership for making things happen over time
- Entrepreneurial and relish a challenge, - you are happiest when you can determine what is most needed and pick that up and make it happen. Joining a small team creating a global standard for Health Simulation authoring is exciting not scary, you relish the opportunity and scope to contribute across many areas
- Highly resourceful and will find a way to move things forward - you thrive on shaping things and ensuring they truly become business-as usual. You happily get your hands dirty, you do what is required to get a result when needed, and take on your fair share of the less exciting tasks that are an inherent part of being in a small team!
Qualifications, Experience, Skills & Knowledge - The successful candidates will be graduate (or equivalent through experience), most likely in an IT/Technical Discipline or with strong experience of working with software at a detailed/expert level. You are a quick-study who can rapidly become expert in iRIS, healthcare simulation education and the overall business. You have a minimum of 5 years relevant experience, and a relevant track record of successful achievements/projects.
- 25 days holiday per year
- Life insurance scheme
- Bonus, based on company performance.
This can be part time or full time (hours negotiable; normal working day 8.30-17.00hrs, minimum of 1 day per week and maximum of 4 days per week). Fixed term until March 2022 in the first instance.
Oxford Brookes University is an approved university to conduct the Nursing Midwifery Council (NMC) Test of Competence. There are 2 other approved universities; Ulster University and University of Northampton.
The approved Test Centre provide Part two of the NMC's Test of Competence for international nurses and midwives seeking registration with the NMC. Part two is a nursing or midwifery Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE). The OSCE can only be sat after a candidate successfully passes Part one, and it is the NMC who provides authorisation of this.
At Oxford Brookes University, we have a Test Centre at Marston Road site, Oxford and a second test centre at the Swindon campus. We run OSCES Mon/Tues in Swindon, Wed/Thurs in Oxford, Friday's either Oxford or Swindon.
The OSCE will simulate a clinical environment and “patient” scenarios which registered nurses and midwives are likely to encounter when they assess, plan, implement and evaluate care. Candidates are expected to utilise a contemporary evidence base and effectively demonstrate safe practical application of nursing and midwifery skills. The Test of Competence is blueprinted against the current UK pre-registration standards and these standards are available on the NMC's website.
|Full Time, Fixed Term - Professional Ser|
This is a full-time position until March 2022. The post will be based at our Marston Road site, Oxford but the successful applicant may need to travel to the Swindon campus at least once a month.
Oxford Brookes University is one of three approved universities who deliver the Nursing and Midwifery Council's (NMC) Test of Competence. There are 2 other approved universities - Ulster University and University of Northampton. We are looking for a friendly and enthusiastic individual to join our small and busy administration team, supporting the NMC's Test of Competence for international nurses and midwives who are seeking registration with the NMC. In the role you will meet international candidates who have come from all over the world and you will play an important part of their journey to join the nursing and midwifery register, and complement our UK workforce.